Ads

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mumbai Cycle Night Ride


Mumbai, In the light of my cycle lamp

The cycling enthusiast in me was very excited. A group of cyclists were organizing a night cycle ride. Mumbai roads are usually bursting at their seams with more than 1.5 million automobiles spewing out Carbon Monoxide and other gases. This pretty much nullifies the health benefits of cycling. So a chance to cycle on the city roads, without having exhaust fumes blown into my face, made me rub my hands in glee.

The ride was to start from Bandra (North Mumbai) at 8 pm and head to Bade Miyan’s at Colaba (South Mumbai) where we’d stop for a bite to eat before heading back. Bade Miyan’s (meaning ‘Big Brother’) is a roadside stall selling scrumptious North Indian (Mughlai) food. The fan following for this roadside foodstall can humble many an established eatery.

Helmet, check. Water bottle, check. Tail light flashing, check. Since I live in between Bandra and Colaba, I join the ride mid-way. “Suuuummmmmiiiiiittttt”, is all I hear as a group of cyclists zoom by. I yell, wave and jump on my cycle. Pedaling furiously, I’m soon riding with the group. Along the way, I slow down to cast a glance over some old buildings dwarfed by massive upcoming constructions. Within 6 months, the middle class tenants will leave and these old buildings will make way for glass faced residential high rises for the über rich. Mumbai is constantly changing, but not always for the better.

“Buck up, or you’ll be left behind”, shouts out Zubair, as he gestures for me to speed up.

We reach Bade Miyan’s by 9.30pm and are immediately the center of attraction. All heads turn to see a dozen cycles being parallel parked. Zubair goes around asking the group for their food preference. Accustomed to seeing guests arrive in expensive cars and motorbikes, our 20 – something waiter was stunned for a second. But he recovers quickly as Zubair rattles off our order.

“4 chicken tikka roll, 2 bheja fry, 3 reshmi tikka roll, 3 mutton roll, 4 Coke, 5 Sprite aur 3 paani ka bottle”, repeats Ayub, while simultaneously scribbling on his little white pad.

After having our fill of yummy chicken tikka rolls and laughingly asking Ayub for a discount, since we were using a green form of transportation, we mount our cycles and head back. The return journey is at a much slower pace, to enjoy the nocturnal sight and sounds of the city. The bright lights at Chowpatty beach turn out to be an unexpected pit stop and an impromptu decision is made to have gola, kulfi, falooda and other yummy desserts to complete our meal.

The smell of the sea, the throbbing of my legs and the taste of some ice cold kulfi, what a way to spend a Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment